In a world where travel beckons with endless possibilities, your wanderlust might be competing with concerns about protecting the planet. Pristine beaches, vibrant reefs and tropical retreats capture your imagination, but what about the impact?
Can you travel better, cleaner and greener? Yes! In this blog, we’ll cover how to prep for journeys with reduced carbon footprints and how to choose a destination that cares for the environment.
Ways To Travel More Sustainably
Gearing up for sustainable travel starts long before you step foot on sandy shores or lush landscapes. It’s about embracing a mindset where each decision, from transport choices to daily habits, becomes a part of the fun.
- Pack Light and Smart: Minimise luggage weight to reduce fuel consumption during transportation. Bring reusable items like water bottles, utensils, and shopping bags to limit single-use plastic waste.
- Choose Sustainable Transportation: Opt for public transport, biking, or walking whenever you can. Consider carbon offsetting for flights and choose direct routes to minimise fuel consumption.
- Conserve Water and Energy: Use water sparingly, reusing towels and sheets when possible. Turn off lights, air conditioning, and heating when leaving the room to conserve energy.
- Support Local and Sustainable Businesses: Eat at local restaurants, shop from local artisans, and support eco-friendly tours that promote conservation and cultural preservation within the community.
- Respect Wildlife and Nature: Observe wildlife from a distance, never disturb or feed them. Stick to marked trails, respect natural habitats, and avoid purchasing products made from endangered species or unsustainable materials.
- Engage in Conservation Efforts: Participate in beach clean-ups, tree planting, or other local conservation projects to contribute positively to the destinations you visit
- Choose Eco-Friendly Accommodations: Opt for hotels, resorts, or lodges with green certifications or sustainable practices like water conservation, energy efficiency, and waste reduction.
Pick A Destination With An Eco Certification
SAii Maldives Lagoon, SAii Phi Phi Island Village and SAii Laguna Phuket are committed to protecting paradise, and each resort has an award to prove it. The Green Globe™ Certification is the world’s leading accreditation status for sustainable operations in tourism and hospitality. But let’s explore more about how each resort keeps its processes clean and green for a more eco stay today and a brighter future tomorrow.
Reducing And Reusing At SAii Maldives Lagoon
Unforgettable escapes await in the Indian Ocean, where you can stay in an over-water bungalow and snorkel around a vibrant reef. As part of CROSSROADS Maldives, SAii Maldives Lagoon participates in the destination’s commitment to caring for the environment through a range of programmes.
Sustainable practices like installing solar panels for energy optimisation, water conservation with low-flow fixtures and reduced landfill waste thanks to composting and a no-plastic-straw policy, we reduce our ecological footprint.
We also invite guests to get involved in an immersive conservation experience at the Marine Discovery Centre, where you can explore a marine biology laboratory, take part in coral propagation and a clownfish release programme, and learn about Maldives’ unique marine ecosystem.
At Maldives Discovery Centre, you can connect more deeply to the archipelago’s rich history through interactive displays and demonstrations of local arts and crafts by the local community who share their way of life.
Connect With Nature at SAii Phi Phi
In a traditional Thai-style bungalow or hillside pool villa, surrounded by coconut groves, you can immerse in the natural world and learn how to protect it at SAii Phi Phi
Explore water activities in Phi Phi Island by snorkelling in the crystal waters, kayaking through the mangroves or at the Marine Discovery Centre – an interactive facility dedicated to the preservation of our subaquatic friends.
Get involved in breeding clown fish or bamboo sharks and make deep connections with the ocean and its inhabitants.
We’ve set a target for zero marine debris in Phi Phi and signed agreements with the local community to conserve the mangroves, which creates more opportunities for you to explore and for nearby villagers to make a sustainable income.
Green Activities And Events At SAii Laguna Phuket
With views over a tranquil lagoon and the shimmering sea on Phuket’s sunset coast, SAii Laguna Phuket invites you to explore paradise gently.
Non-motorised water sports in Phuket connect you with the ocean without disturbing its exotic inhabitants, and e-scooters offer an eco-friendly way to get around without leaving a carbon footprint.
luxury resort in Phuket is a single-use-plastic-free zone, but you can fill up your water bottle at our on-site bottling station, powered by our very own water treatment system.
When it comes to food, 95% of waste is recycled and all our events feature reusable table decorations, recycling bins, green transport options and group activities that support local communities.